On October 21, 2022, the National Coordination Biosafety Centre held a workshop on the results of the preparation of the Fourth National Report to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety.
The workshop was attended by the representatives of key state authorities in this area, scientific and other institutions:
– Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection – the state authority responsible for the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Cartagena and Nagoya Protocols to the Convention in the Republic of Belarus;
– Ministry of Agriculture and Food;
– Institute of Genetics and Cytology, NAS of Belarus, including the National Coordination Biosafety Centre (NCBC) and the National Coordination Centre on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit-sharing (ABS NCC);
– Republican Scientific and Practical Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology;
– Vitebsk State Awarded the “Badge of Honour” Order Veterinary Medicine Academy;
– Republican Centre for Hygiene, Epidemiology and Public Health;
– Scientific and Practical Centre for Animal Breeding, NAS of Belarus;
– State Inspection for Testing of New Plant Varieties;
– State Institute for Advanced Studies and Retraining of Personnel of Customs Bodies of the Republic of Belarus;
– Republican Research Unitary Enterprise “Bel Research Centre “Ecology”.
ABS NCC employees made a presentation “The role of legal regulation of access to genetic resources in ensuring of national biosafety” emphasizing a close tie-up between the Cartagena and Nagoya Protocols to the Convention on Biological Diversity, and also answered a number of questions of workshop participants regarding the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol in the Republic Belarus.